When Going To A New City Is Like Going On A First Date

by wired2theworld on November 7, 2011

Post image for When Going To A New City Is Like Going On A First Date

Where next; Naples, Paestum and Rome

The anticipation of traveling to a new city is a little like that of going on a first date. There’s excitement, nervousness, and anxiety all rolled into one big ball of anticipation.

To me Naples looks good on paper, albeit a little like the bad boy that many girls secretly adore. It’s often described as dirty, chaotic and dangerous but with fantastic art, architecture and incredible food. See what I mean? Naples sounds a like the 1950’s rebel complete with leather jacket, charming smile and a taste for mama’s ragú.

But then there’s the worry; I want to like him, but will he like me?
Will I get lost? Pickpocketed? Or will I find the Naples travel trifecta; great markets, the perfect pizza and the world’s best archaeology museum? Only time will tell.

This trip will also take me to Paestum, the home of ancient Greek ruins and buffalo mozzarella. There is nothing to fear there. While new to me, it feels safe, and I look forward to exploring this less traveled location.

Finally, we will end in Rome. I already know Rome. We are like old lovers who are now just friends. We have a history of over 20 years together, and every time we see each other the flame is rekindled. There’s a level comfort there which I do not have yet with Naples.

So here I go, off on my first date with Naples. I’m wearing a new dress and bright red lipstick. I’m ready to fall in love…

1 Kent @ No Vacation Required November 7, 2011 at 7:06 am

Great timing! Excited to read about the details. And, yes, I’m sure he’ll like you 🙂

2 jeanne November 7, 2011 at 7:14 am

I have been anxiously awaiting this! I love your site (your packing list has come in handy on a few trips now) and am looking forward to hearing about Naples, and gathering more tips!

3 wired2theworld November 8, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Glad to hear my packing tips have helped!

4 Myra November 7, 2011 at 8:25 am

“To me Naples looks good on paper, albeit a little like the bad boy that many girls secretly adore.” Exactly! Very excited to finally hear about Naples and your trip.

5 Lynn November 7, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Yippee!! I’ve been waiting for this as well. In addition to your fab photos, I’ve always admired your writing style. LOVE the way this “date” has begun. More please!

6 jenjenk November 8, 2011 at 9:06 am

i had wanted to go to Naples but a traveler whom I respect and adore told me, “NAPLES…it’s so DIRTY…there’s so many other places to visit in Italy!!!” she’s 90 years old and has traveled all the continents…i want to be her when i grow up so I figured she’d know what she was talking about. But I still want to visit naples. 🙂

7 wired2theworld November 8, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Jen, you should go! Yes, there are “dirty” parts, but so what? In my next post I’ll share what I thought of Naples… 😉

8 Jarmo @ Arctic Nomad November 9, 2011 at 5:52 am

Looking forward to hear how the first date went 😉 But that’s why I love going to new cities, there is always that excitment, and you just never know.

9 Dave from The Longest Way Home November 10, 2011 at 6:23 am

Very nice way at looking at arriving in a new city.

Does lost and hopeless come into it at all! That’s the way I usually feel. Jeez, must be 16 again. Sadly I’m not, so I guess there’s a small part of me remaining ever youthful 🙂

Looking forward to reading all about your Italian ventures!

10 wired2theworld November 10, 2011 at 7:24 am

Dave, yes “lost and hopeless” often figures into it, especially on arrival. But that didn’t fit into the “date” metaphor. 😉

11 Lynn November 10, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I can say for sure it fell in love with you. How could it not?

12 Neck January 24, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Looking forward to hear how the first date went But that’s why I love going to new cities, there is always that excitment, and you just never know.

13 Neck January 24, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Yippee I’ve been waiting for this as well. In addition to your fab photos, I’ve always admired your writing style. LOVE the way this ” has begun.