Naples at Night

by wired2theworld on November 14, 2011

Post image for Naples at Night

“Are you a lucky little lady in The City of Light
Or just another lost angel…City of Night
City of Night, City of Night, City of Night….”

A city at night is an entirely different animal than a city in the day time, isn’t it? Some can be romantic (think Paris), some can be rockin’ (think New York) and some can be downright dangerous (insert your favorite scary city here, I won’t take sides).

Naples at night didn’t fit any of those stereotypes, despite all the warnings we had before arrival. As during our daytime wanderings, we walked the city at night, mostlyย in search of meals in various parts around Piazza Dante and in the Historical Quarter. What we found was a city which seems to shut up tight except in neighborhoods where there are a lot of restaurants and/or tourists. In fact, I was surprised at how quiet and deserted it seemed at times.

Port Alba Naples

Port Alba going from Piazza Dante to Piazza Bellini

Below, the street connecting Piazza Dante and Piazza Bellini. During the day it is filled with used book stores catering to the nearby University. At night, it is shut up tight and covered in graffiti.

Port Alba Naples

This Fritturia on Piazza Dante (below) was hoppin’ right around dinner time with people picking up bags of fried goodies to take home. We had some; two pieces each fried mashed potato balls, slices of fried eggplant, fried zucchini flowers, all for 2 euro total. They were fantastic. The guy behind the counter wansn’t hard on the eyes either.

Naples fried food

Naples Fried Food

Naples is covered in small shrines and every street seems to have their own. At night, they are all lit by electric lights, but I bet it wasn’t all that long ago they were lit by candlelight.

Naples shrine

This shrine was on our street, Via Avocata.

Naples Shrine

A shrine to the Pope in the Spanish Quarter.

Naples shrine

Small shrine inside a street side walk up bar.

At night, even the grafitti looks interesting.

Naples Graffiti

Naples Graffiti

This grafitti covered the whole building.

During the day Pizza Dante is like any other public space, but at night it becomes a gathering spot for local teens to hang out, skateboard, and flirt.

Piazza Dante at night

Piazza Dante at night with full moon.

The clock in Piazza Dante during a full moon.

*Song lyrics at top from the Door’s “LA Woman”.

1 Dave from The Longest Way Home November 14, 2011 at 7:12 am

In search of food at night … is there anything else to do at night in Naples!

Love the grafitti covered building, I was hoping it was one of those arty cafes. But two pieces each fried mashed potato balls, slices of fried eggplant, fried zucchini flowers, only for 2 euro makes up for it!!

2 jeanne November 14, 2011 at 11:04 am

Your pictures are great. Did you stay in the Piazza Dante area, and if so, would you recommend it?

Thanks! Jeanne

3 wired2theworld November 14, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Jeanne- yes, we could see Piazza Dante from our apartment balcony. I thought the area was perfect; very central for walking and there is a metro stop right there in the Piazza, perfect for getting around or going to the train station for day trips out of town.

4 Kent @ No Vacation Required November 14, 2011 at 11:32 am

Fried zucchini flowers are on my list.

What was a “late” night for you in Naples?

5 wired2theworld November 14, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Fried zucchini flowers rock. Our nights weren’t really that late, not much later than 11pm, but I was surprised how quiet things were even after 9pm.

6 Joy November 14, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Great photos and tidbits of the night scenes. I really love the graffiti shots. ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Myra November 14, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Gorgeous photos! I spent an hour lost alone in Rome at night. It was an experience I’ll never forget (And one of the highlights of my trip). ๐Ÿ™‚

8 Tris Beezley November 14, 2011 at 11:41 pm

That Piazza Dante photo is mesmerizing!! I may have to get a copy of that. And can you make fried zucchini flowers? I don’t ask for much.

9 jenjenk November 15, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Great shots!! Looks so gothic! ๐Ÿ™‚

10 Kira Yamato November 16, 2011 at 11:36 am

Nice Pictures of Naples ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Jarmo @ Artic Nomad November 20, 2011 at 3:45 am

Great night times photos! definitely makes me want to visit Naples ๐Ÿ™‚

12 Allen November 20, 2011 at 8:14 am

From your pictures I would say that Naples is a very cultured city. I’d love to go there sometime. Though I have to confess, I had to google where it is located xD.